Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

There is one word that I can use to best describe this movie.

It spells M-I-N-D-F-U-C-K.

Oh, but it's such a good mindfuck movie, you say.

Look at my bothered face. It just reminds me of the very films I hated watching in class. Mis en scene and surrealism and French New Wave crap. Jean Luc Godard. God, I hate his films.

Film as art.

At best, you succeed in confusing me and making me want to stand up and walk away. Now, that's saying a lot because I have a lot of respect for films and their makers. Yes, I do. I know the blood, sweat and tears put into crafting a film that speaks the pictures in your mind.

But.

Do not confuse yourself as a genius by saying that the mere masses have herd mentality and therefor are unable to comprehend your very brilliant film.

The idea is original, that I give it credit for.

I am a romantic, that much I admit.

But who are we really kidding? Jim Carrey? Kate Winslet? Elijah Wood?

Were these characters created from a 10 year old's papier mache project?

No offense to 10 year olds and their craftmaking, but if you wanted an elitist audience to watch your film, perhaps you should've put more care into moulding your characters.

Kate Winslet annoys the hell out of me with her utter lack of chemistry with the entire cast. Tangerine? Hello?

Love and romance and relationships, we have all been there before. We approach matters of the heart with care and a lot of thought. Which is exactly why it really irked me to the bone when I had searched the entire movie for that spark, that fire, and never found it even till after the credits started rolling.

In a sardine can, I'll summarize the movie for you so that you can save yourself from the frustration of unknowingly wasting 108 minutes of your life.

Joel and Clementine had gone through a procedure that erases their memories of each other when their relationship turned sour. With each memory that they had built together fading from his mind fast, Joel realizes that it may be the single and least wisest choice that he's making.

Moral of the story: There is no delete button in life

No comments: